Just after midnight a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck 15km northeast of Culverden, with a series of continuing aftershocks.
Since then, there have been several severe earthquakes in the Seddon and Kaikoura region. Strong earthquakes have been felt in Wellington and throughout both islands. Early indications are that the quakes originated from the Hope Fault.
A tsunami warning was issued for the East Coast of New Zealand, but this has now been downgraded to a marine and beach threat from East Cape to Southland, and also the Kapiti Coast and Tasman Bay/Marlborough Sounds.
People in all coastal areas should:
- Stay out of the water (seas, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities)
- Stay off beaches and shore areas
- Do not go sightseeing
- Share this information with family, neighbours and friends
- Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates
- Follow instructions of local Civil Defence authorities
- If a beach threat is forecasted for your area, take appropriate evasive action including seeking higher ground
Listen to your local radio stations as emergency management officials will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation.